To provide our community with important public safety information, the Statesman Journal is making this daily update related to the coronavirus free to read. To support important local journalism like this, please consider becoming a digital subscriber.
We’ll update this story with the latest news about coronavirus and its effects in Oregon on Wednesday, Oct. 13.
Oregon reports 1,278 new COVID-19 cases, 33 new deaths
The Oregon Health Authority has reported 1,278 new cases of COVID-19 and 33 new deaths.
The state’s cumulative case count is now 346,480, and the death toll is 4,117.
Marion County reported 139 new cases. Polk County reported 30 new cases.
Other counties’ new cases were: Baker (7), Benton (25), Clackamas (106), Clatsop (3), Columbia (8), Coos (27), Crook (31), Curry (6), Deschutes (105), Douglas (50), Harney (5), Hood River (9), Jackson (66), Jefferson (20), Josephine (19), Klamath (33), Lake (8), Lane (130), Lincoln (20), Linn (73), Malheur (30), Morrow (3), Multnomah (113), Tillamook (3), Umatilla (58), Union (9), Wallowa (4), Wasco (15), Washington (101) and Yamhill (22).
There were 595 hospitalized patients with COVID-19 Wednesday, which is 10 more than on Tuesday. Of those, 145 were in intensive care.
Oregon has administered an average of 10,229 COVID-19 vaccine doses per day over the past week.
As of Tuesday, 2.78 million people in Oregon had completed a vaccine series, and 216,207 had received at least one dose.
OHA released details of the 82 deaths originally announced Tuesday. Details of the 33 deaths announced Wednesday were not yet made available.
The following deaths in Marion and Polk counties were included:
- 75-year-old man from Marion County who tested positive on Sept. 28 and died on Oct. 2 at Legacy Silverton Medical Center. He had underlying conditions.
- 79-year-old woman from Marion County who tested positive on Sept. 24 and died on Oct. 8 at Salem Hospital. She had underlying conditions.
- 52-year-old man from Marion County who tested positive on Sept. 13 and died on Oct. 4 at Salem Hospital. He had underlying conditions.
- 70-year-old woman from Marion County who tested positive on Sept. 7 and died on Oct. 6 at Salem Hospital. She had underlying conditions.
- 64-year-old woman from Marion County who tested positive on Sept. 22 and died on Oct. 10 at Legacy Silverton Medical Center. She had underlying conditions.
- 68-year-old man from Marion County who died on Nov. 25, 2020 at his residence. The death certificate listed COVID-19 disease or SARS-CoV-2 as a cause of death or a significant condition contributing to death. He had underlying conditions.
- 77-year-old woman from Marion County who tested positive on Aug. 26 and died on Sept. 4 at her residence. She had underlying conditions.
- 74-year-old woman from Polk County who tested positive on Sept. 19 and died on Oct. 4 at Salem Hospital. She had underlying conditions.
- 67-year-old man from Polk County who tested positive on Sept. 15 and died on Oct. 8 at Salem Hospital. Presence of underlying conditions is being confirmed.
- 52-year-old woman from Polk County who tested positive on Sept. 14 and died on Oct. 9 at Salem Hospital. She had no underlying conditions.
COVID-19 patients at Salem Health
Coronavirus patient numbers at Salem Health on Wednesday, Oct. 13:
- 64: Total COVID-19 inpatients, 84% unvaccinated
- 10: COVID-19 patients in the ICU
- 5: COVID-19 patients on a ventilator
COVID-19 by the numbers
Here’s the most recent data from the Oregon Health Authority, as of Wednesday, Oct. 13:
- 4,117: People who have died from COVID-19
- 346,480: Total cases of COVID-19
- 595: COVID-19 patients in hospitals
Oregon COVID-19 cases by county
Here are the number of cases, both tested positive and presumptive, and deaths as of Wednesday, Oct. 13:
- Baker: 1,963 cases, 28 deaths.
- Benton: 5,245 cases, 30 deaths.
- Clackamas: 28,944 cases, 302 deaths.
- Clatsop: 2,382 cases, 28 deaths.
- Columbia: 3,689 cases, 43 deaths.
- Coos: 4,842 cases, 91 deaths.
- Crook: 2,666 cases, 44 deaths.
- Curry: 1,776 cases, 21 deaths.
- Deschutes: 19,356 cases, 122 deaths.
- Douglas: 11,713 cases, 240 deaths.
- Gilliam: 148 cases, 4 deaths.
- Grant: 965 cases, 12 deaths.
- Harney: 1,068 cases, 24 deaths.
- Hood River: 1,868 cases, 37 deaths.
- Jackson: 22,526 cases, 299 deaths.
- Jefferson: 3,575 cases, 50 deaths.
- Josephine: 9,193 cases, 193 deaths.
- Klamath: 7,582 cases, 108 deaths.
- Lake: 877 cases, 11 deaths.
- Lane: 26,791 cases, 293 deaths.
- Lincoln: 3,081 cases, 34 deaths.
- Linn: 12,273 cases, 119 deaths.
- Malheur: 5,451 cases, 74 deaths.
- Marion: 35,835 cases, 440 deaths.
- Morrow: 1,804 cases, 23 deaths.
- Multnomah: 54,647 cases, 680 deaths.
- Polk: 7,101 cases, 80 deaths.
- Sherman: 145 cases, 3 deaths.
- Tillamook: 1,922 cases, 27 deaths.
- Umatilla: 14,139 cases, 140 deaths.
- Union: 3,106 cases, 44 deaths.
- Wallowa: 661 cases, 12 deaths.
- Wasco: 2,773 cases, 39 deaths.
- Washington: 37,818 cases, 312 deaths.
- Wheeler: 94 cases, 1 death.
- Yamhill: 8,461 cases, 109 deaths.
Source: Oregon Health Authority